Monday, October 12, 2009

Chapter 7: Communicating with Technologies

Chapter 7, “Communicating with Technology”, was my favorite chapter so far. Before reading, I had many preconceived ideas about the internet and communication, many of which were more negative than positive. I learned a lot from this chapter about the different methods of communication through technology and the benefits of asynchronous as well as synchronous communication. I think a lot of what I read will benefit me as a future teacher. I think communication with technology is something I will have my students practice and use within the classroom.

Prior to reading this chapter, I was familiar with using asynchronous discussion boards for communicating ideas. I have used discussion boards in the past for many of my college classes through Moodle. These discussion boards are available for students to post ideas and questions concerning class assignments. I will probably use some type of asynchronous discussion board such as ePALS or Global Schoolhouse in my future classroom for students to respond and provide feedback. One feature of ePALS that I think will benefit my future students is the built-in translator tool. This allows for students to convert messages from many different languages. Community web sites can also be useful because they include project-specific discussion boards and student talk discussion boards. Students can benefit from the use of discussion boards by having the opportunity to communicate with people who are from different geographical locations. Other advantages of asynchronous communication in the classroom include giving students more reflection time and more in-depth learning that exists beyond one limited class period. Also, I thought it was really interesting how the chapter supports this type of communication for English language learners. I agree that asynchronous communication via discussion boards is a great way for ELL to converse with native speakers and have more time to express their ideas effectively. As mentioned in the chapter, I think it is very important for teachers to scaffold students and encourage students to think critically when using discussion boards or other forms of asynchronous communication.

Since I was in elementary school, I have been familiar with using chat rooms and instant messaging. I used this type of communication outside of school for social purposes. One type of synchronous communication mentioned in the chapter that I was not familiar with was Internet relay chat (IRC). After looking at the software Colloquy, I think this type of communication is set up for the use of ages older than elementary. Although I think instant messaging connects students and allows them to exchange ideas immediately, this type of communication may be difficult to monitor within the classroom. Within my future classroom, I will most likely have students use asynchronous communication when using technology more often than synchronous. I agree that synchronous communication such as chats and messaging can more closely resemble face-to-face interaction but I think it may also distract students. Some of the community-oriented web sites that I would consider using with my students include ePALS and Global Schoolhouse. These sites may be more beneficial for classroom use because they offer safety features that sites such as AOL instant messenger and IRC sites do not offer.

One type of communication that I had previously not thought about as beneficial for classroom use is videoconferencing. I think videoconferencing is a great way for students to have live interactions with people that they would otherwise have no access. Motivating students to draw on additional resources such as expert advice and expertise can enhance curriculum. Skype is one type of software program that allows videoconferencing to occur. I have heard a lot about Skype and know many people who use Skype but I have yet to try it. I would probably use Skype with students rather than Polycam because Polycam seems geared more toward older students and/or adults. I really liked the example the chapter provided about the videoconferencing interactions with astronomers at Dyer. I think this program is a beneficial way for students to connect weekly with peers, scientists, graduate students, and other professionals. Videoconferencing such as the examples mentioned throughout the chapter increase student motivation, increase communication to the outside world, and let students learn from a primary source rather than a textbook. One thing that I think is important to videoconferencing within the classroom is training and appropriate use. As teachers, we must know how to work equipment and programs in order to perform videoconferencing activities with our students.

In the past, I have heard the word podcasts and the idea of Internet radio but I had never really known what they were until reading the chapter. I now have a better understanding of the purpose of podcasts and how they can be used for student learning. I think the interesting thing about podcasts is that they contain previously recorded content that can be used for future listening. I also think it is interesting how podcasting is one of the most rapidly expanding technologies today. By reading, I learned that it is simple to podcast through programs such as iTunes, which many of us are familiar with. I think having students create podcasts for class projects or activities gives them the opportunity to analyze material, determine the purpose of what they are learning, and connect with peers. The podcast mentioned in the chapter called Bangladesh is an awesome example of how podcast can be used to promote global interaction and discussion of global issues. I also really liked the “Our City” podcast idea that has students from all over the world make a recording about the city they live in. This podcast gives students geographical information from a young person’s perspective. The sites that I think I will use to help me become more familiar with setting up and using podcasts is the “How to Podcast” web site. This site gives useful tips and resources for beginning podcasters.

All in all, I really enjoyed reading this chapter and learning how to apply both synchronous and asynchronous communication within the classroom. I learned a lot of new information and resources that are available for students to communicate using bulletin boards, chats, instant messaging, podcasts, and videoconferencing. I think all these means of communication can promote meaningful learning and motivate and engage students in thinking and learning.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kasey,
    I really enjoyed your post. You took the words right of my mouth with the whole podcasting section. Previous to reading this chapter I really didn't have an idea what a podcast was either. I think I will explore podcasts further in the future and use them in my classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know what podcasts were, either. I have been hearing about them for a while, but never really looked into it or knew what it was. I think it is something I would like to look at using in my classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about a lot of your ideas and opinions. I also was not very sure what a podcast exactly was or how to do one but I am very excited to learn.

    ReplyDelete