Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chapter 1: What is Meaningful Learning?

After reading the preface and first chapter, my first impression of the textbook is that it will provide me with the knowledge and information I need in order to best incorporate technology into my classroom. I think the book is going to emphasize making learning meaningful by working with technology to engage students. I also believe after reading the text, I will feel more comfortable using technology to develop meaningful learning experiences for my students.

I definitely agree that all 5 characteristics contribute largely to meaningful learning. First of all, I have always learned best when I can collaborate with peers and work together toward a common goal. It is also important for me to be active while learning by working with my environment and constructing knowledge/understanding based on what I observe. I can not simply read about something and fully learn without authentic experiences and being engaged in what I am being taught. I also think it is very important and crucial to set goals and have an intentional purpose for what and why I am learning. Like the author states, human behavior is goal directed. Therefore, how can meaningful learning occur without a goal or purpose in mind? Personally, I think all five characteristics are very important for meaningful learning to occur because of these reasons.

From what I remember, we never used computers to do school work or learn from. In high school, students were required to become familiar with Microsoft office tools such as PowerPoint and Word. We were also required to use the computer/internet to do research for specific projects or topic areas. I have definitely used the most technology in my college experience. I have observed technology as both a teaching and learning tool. Many of my professors use the internet as a class resource for information and assignments. I have also had internet courses in which the instructor directly teaches the class over the internet. I have learned with technology by researching, browsing, writing papers, and through social networking.

‘Learning from technology’ is when learning occurs by observing technology or when one is presented with information from a technological source. ‘Learning with technology,’ on the other hand, is when learning occurs by engaging oneself in technology and when one uses technology as a knowledge building tool.

David Jonassen is the author of “Meaningful Learning with Technology” and has a degree in Ed.D., Educational Media/Educational Psychology from Temple University. He is currently a professor and chair of instructional technology at the University of Colorado at Denver. While working toward his B.S. degree, Jonassen became very interested and involved in television and radio production. After graduating, he took psychology courses and wanted to be in “educational media.” He then enrolled in a doctoral program in educational media but ended up majoring in experimental educational psychology.

‘Syllogism’ is a four-part analogy. ‘Epiphenomenon’ is a phenomenon that occurs with and seems to result from another but has no reciprocal effect or subsequent influence. The definition of ‘nascent’ is: beginning to form, start, grow, or develop and is used in the context of ideas, cultures, etc.

Question number 2. My theory of learning is that if one is engaged and interested in what they are learning, then meaningful learning will occur. I do not think there is a specific formula or rule to how one learns because everyone learns differently. I learn best by engaging in activities and through visual representations. I think most people learn when they are presented with information, provided examples, collaborate with others, and are active in their own learning and constructing of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment