Monday, September 28, 2009

Chapter 5: Modeling with Technology

Before reading this chapter, Modeling with Technologies, I had never thought of technology as a way to represent or model conceptual understanding. I think it is interesting how the chapter addresses that “humans are natural model builders” and that computer Mindtools can help to externalize mental models. I definitely agree that it is important for students to construct their own knowledge and build conceptual understanding by using Mindtools such as concept mapping, spreadsheets, databases, and microworlds. By working with technology to create models, students are able to organize what they learn into systems that best make sense to them.

Although the textbook addresses concept maps as a tool for writing in the previous chapter, I learned even more about concept map use in this chapter. I think concept maps can be useful in multiple ways in the classroom. I think students can construct their own knowledge and make connections by using technology and concept maps. It is important for students as young as elementary age to learn how to use models such as webs and concept maps to better comprehend and remember what they learn. In my future class, I will have students learn how to create concept maps through a web site such as Kidspiration. They will use concept mapping as a tool for organizing content across the curriculum including areas of science, language arts, and math. The more complex the subject matter, the more useful concept maps can be in helping students understand and make connections.

When I began reading about systems dynamic tools, I did not fully understand the meaning of “constructing dynamic simulations of systems.” As I continued to read, some computer-based tools were introduced and I looked them up on the internet to gain a better understanding. A few of these sites include Stella, VenSim, and PowerSim. I agree with the chapter that Stella does not seem age-appropriate for elementary aged students. I would most likely use this site as well as the other two with older students because the content and format seems too complex and difficult for younger children. On the contrary, I would use the web site Model-It in my elementary classroom but probably with upper-elementary students. This site still seems difficult for younger use and requires systematic, critical thinking for older students. I would have students use this program to make scientific systems that they can view and test as a simulation. I think this is a great way for students to learn and observe scientific material, concepts, or systems through simulation.

Modeling with spreadsheets is another effective tool in presenting and understanding problems/content. Although I think spreadsheets are particularly useful in science and math, I think they can also be used in other subject areas. I definitely think modeling by using spreadsheets is useful for older students but I do not think I will use spreadsheets very often with my elementary students. The only time I may use them is when I want students to collect scientific data, enter the data into a spreadsheet, and then view the data in a chart or graph. This allows students to visually see scientific observations and results in chart form. They can then make meaning from what they see and learn from the experiment and spreadsheet results. Other than this reason, I will probably not use spreadsheets very often with students because it may be too confusing and time consuming for students that my not be developmentally ready to use such detailed programs for collecting data.

I think the part of the chapter about modeling with expert systems was particularly interesting. I never knew what an expert system was or its purpose before reading about them. I agree that by allowing students to become artificial decision makers, they engage in deeper-level thinking and reflect on their thought processes. After reading about expert systems and their use as models for student learning, I tried to find an example of a expert system Mindtool I could possibly use in the future with my students. I had a hard time finding any, even the one mentioned in the book, Win EXP. I would like to learn more about expert systems and how I can use them in my future classroom.

The last Mindtool discussed is databases. Databases are used throughout our everyday lives to store and retrieve information; therefore, it is important that students gain as much knowledge and understanding about this form of modeling. In my classroom, I think a great way to get students to compare and contrast is through the use of databases. I agree that databases are a great way of understanding what people know by analyzing their stories. By having students analyze stories, they gain a greater understanding of current issues and phenomenon that contribute toward analytical and conceptual knowledge. KITE is an example of a database that is a great resource for educators. I like this site because teachers can look up and learn technology integration ideas for all grade levels and subject areas.

All in all, I think each of the five different Mindtools help students make meaning from models and construct their own knowledge. I think concept maps are the most useful Mindtool at the elementary level. I will most likely encourage my future students to organize and make connections by creating models using concept maps.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments on the reading about expert systems. I had never heard of them before either, and I also had a difficult time trying to find an example of one. It would be great if we could get an example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that spreadsheets might be a little too advanced for most elementary students. I also agree about the usefulness of expert systems.

    ReplyDelete