Monday, September 21, 2009

Chapter 4: Supporting Writing with Technology

After reading chapter 4 about supporting writing with technology, I learned about various ways the computer and the internet can help students with writing in the classroom. First of all, I thought it was interesting how this chapter addressed the different components and stages of writing. Before reading, the only technology-based source that I knew could assist in writing is PowerPoint and concept maps. It was interesting to learn about many more sources that can be useful for organizing, planning, editing, and publishing.
For organizing ideas using concept maps, I first researched the web site called Semantica (semanticresearch.com). By first impression, this site seems too advanced for the elementary level grades. I think this would be a great site for high school or even college level students because it can help them generate ideas, organize thoughts and make connections before writing. Although elementary aged students must also organize and plan as part of the writing process, I think another site may be more appropriate. I think kidspiration would be more appropriate to use in the elementary classroom because it is designed for K-5 and is formatted in a kid-friendly way. Students can use kidspiration to create maps and webs, integrate their picture into their writing, and expand their ideas into writing.
Although I agree that PowerPoint can be an effective way for students to create presentations, I also think it has many distractions that can demote meaningful learning. Although I have liked using PowerPoint for presentations because it is simple and familiar, I do not necessarily think these reasons are beneficial to the learning and writing process. In my future classroom, I am going to encourage and challenge students to use programs other than PowerPoint such as kid pix by Mackiev. Although this program is not specifically designed for presentations like PowerPoint, it is directed more towards elementary aged students.
I think it is very important for students to have as much support as possible in the area of creative writing. Creative writing and the idea of publishing those writings can help to motivate students to become better writers. Before reading the chapter, I was unaware of the different web sites and resources available for students to use for publishing. Kidscribe is a site mentioned that I would definitely use with my future students. I think this site is great not only because it is kid-friendly but also because it provides children with the opportunity to publish their work and view other peoples work. This site is also great because it can accommodate ESOL students because it is a bilingual site for kids. Another tool mentioned in the chapter that supports creative writing is Poetry Forge. From first impression, it seems that this site would be great for upper elementary students to teach and engage students in poetry.
Collaborative writing with technology is a process that I will probably use with my future students. I think when students work together, they form positive relationships and ideas are exchanged. Students can learn from one another and become more engaged in the writing process. The idea of asynchronous collaborative writing is not something I would teach/enforce at the elementary level. Real-time writing is more appropriate because I think it is important for younger students to receive immediate feedback and scaffolding. The site provided by Global School House Network is a great way to support learning through the use of collaboration. I would use this site in my classroom because it engages both teacher and students in different world-wide collaborative projects.
Peer feedback in writing is a very important part of the writing process. It gives students the opportunity to revise and create multiple drafts of their work. With the use of programs such as SWoRD, students can receive peer feedback, improve their writings, and become better writers overall. After researching the program, I think the idea of peer reviewing over the internet is beneficial but may be too complicated for elementary- aged students. Unless the process is explicitly taught, I think the best way to incorporate peer feedback at the elementary level is through the actual exchanging of papers. Furthermore, SWoRD is a program that I think I would have benefited from in the past when writing my own papers.
All in all, the type of writing activity using technology that I think will help students the most in making meaningful learning is organization/planning activities. These activities could include having students create their own concept map or flow chart using one of the programs addressed above. By having students construct their own ideas and putting them into a map, they will become more engaged and will learn more about the writing process.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on collaborative writing. I think that it can be a very positive experience for students, provided that everyone gets along well.

    ReplyDelete